Who is Troy?
Writer, Editor, Journalist, Photographer
Years after earning my bachelor’s degree in photojournalism from Ball State University, I had the crazy notion to work on a Master’s Degree in journalism from the same institution. I completed the graduate degree in July of 2015.
Until wanderlust (actually a career-based relocation for my wife) drove us to La La Land, I taught New Photography I and II for Butler University’s Journalism Department for seven years.
After graduating the first time, I “earned my stripes” in the photojournalism field at three small towns Indiana newspapers in Lebanon, Goshen, and Greenfield. My experience there prepared me well for a career in wedding photography.
Every type of journalistic image making is there in weddings. From the tender emotion filled feature photos of the bridal couple seeing each other for the first time, to the rough and tumble sports photos of the bridesmaids doing their best football scrimmage to catch the bouquet, and the unexpected spot news of the groomsmen on the dance floor (shirts optional!).
The master’s degree has reawakened in me a love of writing. While I never found routine journalistic writing fun, my time learning long-form narrative journalism has shown me how to combine my love of fiction writing with my training and experience as a journalist.
The capstone project for my MA (instead of the standard thesis many other graduate degrees require) is a long-form narrative piece on one of the political campaigns I was involved in. This is a form of long-form called “participation journalism” with a unique set of rules. Now that my work for the degree is complete, I hope to publish the capstone piece. I’ll keep you informed on that via the blog as the deadlines approach.
Highlights of my Career:
- Photographer for The Lebanon Reporter
- Photographer for The Goshen News
- Photographer for The Greenfield Daily Reporter
- Various awards from Hoosier State Press Association and UPI of Indiana for my Photo-J work
- Owner, photographer, chief janitor at Troy Hill Photography LLC
- Media Director for the Behney for Senate campaign (2010)
- Media Director the the Rupert for Governor campaign (2012)
- Adjunct Professor of Journalism at Butler University (2010 to present)
- Contributing writer to What Would Patton Do gaming blog (WWPD.net)